Friday, November 23, 2012

LiveMocha

                        
                                         http://livemocha.com/
I have heard of Rosettastone which is known as an expensive language learning tool. LiveMocha, is a similar language learning website for language learners. Although they two are similar, LiveMocha has more advantages comparing with Rosettastone.

Firstly, it is free! Anyone, in any countries, at any ages, who wants to learn a foreign language can sign in with an email address. The whole registering process only takes a few seconds and you can start your language learning journey! Sounds very easy and simple! (Though the higher level class may not be free.)

Secondly, LiveMocha takes the native language of language learners into consideration. It is very good for adult learners to pick up a language as a beginner in a short time. What is more, I find that the language of the website can be automatically changed into learners native language by recognizing the language of your computer operating system.

Thirdly, it can guide learners to follow learning, reviewing and testing process step by step. One can be tested through different kinds of ways: matching, multiple choosing, dictation (native language and target language both), making sentences, ect.

It is very interesting to find that one can be a foreign language learner and a language teacher at the same time. It is a wonderful idea to involve different language speakers into this language learning community. Every one can be benefited by having the communication with the native speakers of the target language.  

One thing that I am not very into about LiveMocha is the lack of teaching part of the alphabet pronunciation. I am learning Korean now, and I found that without knowing how to pronounce the individual words, I can not know how to say the sentences and words besides the sentences that I learned from LiveMocha. By throwing simple sentences and the pictures to any beginners is unreasonable. It will turn to be audio lingual approach teaching method which is not good for learners who also want to learn how to write and read the language. 

Another thing that I dislike is lack of the hits of right answer offering when I forget one or two words in the review step. I just stuck there and no place or no one for me to turn to help. The only thing for me to do is to close the current window and go back to the learning step to keep clicking to find the one word or sentence that I forget. It wastes my time and causes me some troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment